Car racks are important to properly transport bikes on a vehicle. However, securing bicycles is not just about keeping them stable but also about making sure they are safe. This requires us to know how to lock bikes on car bike racks.
We’ll take a look at 4 reliable ways for securing bike to car rack as well as discuss a few critical things to keep in mind. This includes whether using locks is important in the first place. Keep reading to learn more.
Table of Contents
Methods to Lock Bike on Car Rack
Different Types of Car Racks for Bikes
Here are some of the most common rack types for vehicles.
- Hanging hitch—Attached to the back of the vehicle and secures the frame by hanging. It’s very easy to install, but some hanging hitch models may block your rear door access.
- Platform hitch—also attaches to the back of the car but secures the wheels on a flat base. Similar to hanging hitch, this type is easy to mount, but some can block your trunk door.
- Roof rack—a roof platform where the bicycles are secured at the wheels or frame. These are less likely to wear off if carrying heavy bikes. However, you’ll have to pay attention to height restrictions in certain areas.
- Truck bed—rack bed can only be installed on trucks or pickups. These are ideal for carrying multiple bikes over a long distance. The downside of this type is that it can scratch your car.
What Should I Do if the Bike’s Not Secured?
A bicycle not secured properly is at high risk of being stolen. Unfortunately, incidents of theft are on the rise. This is why the first thing you need to do is to use security items and bike locks for car racks.
Use multiple locks to properly secure your bicycle. It’s also a good idea to secure the frame and rear wheel together. Avoid locking only the front wheel, as it can be easy to detach it from the rest of the bike.
Aside from locking bikes on bike racks, there are other things you can do to keep your bicycle safe if you need to park your vehicle with the bicycle still mounted. Here are additional tips to consider.
- Park only in well-lit areas, preferably with security cameras
- Position the bike in tight spaces where it is difficult to move
- Cover the bicycle
Frequently Asked Questions
Which lock is best to prevent theft?
There is no one type of lock for a car bike rack that can provide the best security, and all locks can be removed by force or specialized tools. For example, keyed locks can be picked, while others can be disengaged by force or even cut.
Even more expensive locks can still be disengaged without a key, although premium models may be more difficult to bypass. This is something that is often covered by many videos found online.
If locks cannot completely prevent theft, why bother using them?
While complete prevention is not something you can get by using locks, it still makes it more difficult for thieves. If you’re talking about bikes on a car rack, there would not be enough time for theft to occur unless the bicycle is left mounted on an immobile vehicle for an extended period.
If a thief has to spend more time removing the bicycle, this increases the risk of getting caught, which may be enough to deter attempts to do so. Use two or more locks for better deterrence.
Now you know how to lock bikes on car bike rack in 4 different ways. This is a very important matter because recent reports indicate that bicycle thefts are on the rise, and it is up to us to protect our property from getting stolen.
What do you feel is the best way to secure bike on bike rack? Also, how do you feel about all those videos and tutorials about breaking locks all over the net? Tell us your thoughts about these in the comments section below.
Always ride safely.
“I ride my bike to work for years, but is that enough? Our carelessness towards our surroundings has taken a toll on the environment. And now, everyone is responsible for changes; even the most minor contribution is counted. With this hope and spirit, I started with my partner to establish Biketoworkday to help more individuals commute to their work sites on their bikes.”