Attaching a bike trailer into your bike is simple and easy, especially if you have the right tool or equipment – a coupler. Using a coupler is the best way to keep your bike trailer fastened securely. It is a device created to hold both the bike and the trailer in place, and without it, attaching the two can be challenging.
So, how to attach bike trailer without coupler?
There are steps you can follow to install a bicycle trailer even without using a coupler. You can use the bolt-on hub method, chainstay mount frame method, or the seat post mount method.
Table of Contents
Why Is Coupler Attachment Important for Bike Trailers
Cyclists look for a coupler attachment when installing a bike trailer into their bikes because it is the easiest way to hold a bicycle and the trailer together. Also, it is the most reliable and efficient method to use in order to ensure that the attachment is secured.
Generally, a coupler is a mini device that joins the bicycle back wheel to the hitch arm of your bike trailer. With the help of a security pin, the coupler lets you install or remove the bike trailer easily.
However, the coupler can wear out, and finding the ideal coupler for your bike trailer is difficult. Hence, there are alternatives to install a bike trailer to a bike without a coupler. You can choose one of the following:
- Bolt-on hub method
- Chainstay mount frame method
- Seat post mount method
3 Ways to Attach a Bike Trailer Without a Coupler
1. Bolt-on hub method
One of the best alternatives to attach a bike trailer to a bicycle without a coupler is using the bolt-on hub method. You have to look for a steel-made bolt-on hub to start the process. Using a steel material will make the attachment more secure because of the alloy element incorporated on the hub.
- Step 1: Initially, you have to remove the axle nut and the wheel washer located on the left side of the bike.
- Step 2: Then, place the steel hitch onto the axle and replace the washer in the process. The hitch allows you to have the right amount of grip to keep the axle nut in place. With the said replacement, you can easily adjust both the alignment and the grip of the steel hitch you installed.
- Step 3: The next step is aligning the tow bar, inserting the pin from the bottom, and locking the device properly. Ensure that the hitch is in correct alignment with the pin, so you can conveniently tighten the rear axle nut while keeping the hitch in its proper position.
- Step 4: After making sure that the hitch and the tow bar are securely installed, you can connect the trailer to your bike.
- Step 5: Finally, you can fasten the safety strap that comes with the bike trailer for double security. You have to clip the strap into the tow bar during the process.
2. Chainstay mount frame method
The next alternative is using the chainstay mount frame method. For this process, you need mounting kits to ensure that you attach the bike trailer securely. It is essential that the attachment or mounting kit comes with hitches and tubes. These are the tools you need to install the axle nut and connect the bike trailer to the bike.
There are available mounting kits on the market that can work well in all types of bike trailers. With this kit, you can attach the tools to the frame of the bike easily.
- Step 1: First, it is important that you align the v-shaped part of the hitch on the chainstay frame of your bicycle. Once you notice that there is a large knob on the hitch, you have to tighten it by turning the knob clockwise.
- Step 2: Then, proceed to the other end of the attachment kit. Here, you will see a tube that comes with two holes. Insert the end of the trailer in one of the holes, then attach your bike to the other.
- Step 3: Finally, you can install the safety strap that goes with the trailer to your bike frame for added security.
3. Seat post mount method
If you do not like the axle mount option, you can also use the seat post mount hitches alternative. For this process, you need to buy a specific hitch for the trailer. You can consider the WeeRide Co-Pilot Spare Hitch or the Travoy Quick-Hitch.
These are great options you can use for this process. When using one of the hitches, you just need to tighten the hitch to the seat post and attach the trailer to it. Using the tool is very simple, and it can go perfectly well with any size of the bicycle seat post. You will not encounter any compatibility issue using the tool.
Making a DIY Attachment System
In case you do not want to spend bucks for an attachment kit, you can make your own attachment system to hook a bike trailer to a bike. It is possible to make your own hitch at home if you have the following materials:
- Complete set of swivel caster
- Cross bracket to mount antenna poles
- Self-locking nut
After gathering all the materials or tools needed, you are now ready for the following steps:
- Step 1: Initially, you have to detach the axle bolt from your caster and detach its wheel. You do not need the caster wheel for this process.
- Step 2: Then, get the cross bracket and create a hole in it. It is important that the bolt of the caster can easily fit to the hole.
- Step 3: With a self-locking nut, you can attach the caster to the bracket. In case you see an excess length of the bolt, you have the option to reduce it using a tool grinder.
- Step 4: Once you have built the device, you can attach the DIY hitch to your bike seat post. To do this, you have to tighten the bolt of the bracket.
- Step 5: Then, install your bike trailer bar to the hitch by using a pin with a safety lock. At this point, you can join your bike to the trailer.
A coupler is the perfect tool to install a bike trailer to your bicycle. It makes the job simple and easy, while ensuring a more secure attachment. Nevertheless, even without a coupler, it is possible to attach your bike trailer to a bicycle. You just need to know the perfect alternative for your bike model, and the type of trailer you have.
With this guide on how to attach bike trailer without coupler, you have several options to choose from to make the installation easier. We even included a DIY hitch attachment system for those who do not want to spend any dime.
“I ride my bike to work for years, but is that enough? Our carelessness towards our surroundings has taken a toll on the environment. And now, everyone is responsible for changes; even the most minor contribution is counted. With this hope and spirit, I started with my partner to establish Biketoworkday to help more individuals commute to their work sites on their bikes.”