Moving can be complicated, especially if you have sophisticated equipment such as a Peloton exercise machine that you want to keep in good condition. From appliances to musical instruments, any item could get damaged in transit. That’s why it’s essential to know how to move a Peloton bike properly.
We’ll cover how to move your exercise bike for both room relocation in the same home and moving to a new house. This includes how to disassemble Peloton bike and important considerations when doing so.
Keep reading to learn more.
Table of Contents
- Step-by-Step Guide to Moving a Peloton Bike
- Steps for Moving to a Different Room
- Steps for Moving to Another House or Location
- Tips for Transporting a Peloton Bike
- Mistakes When Moving a Peloton Bike
- Things to Consider When Removing a Peloton Bike
- Frequently Asked Questions
Step-by-Step Guide to Moving a Peloton Bike
What You’ll Need
- Phillips screwdriver
- Allen wrench (included in the toolkit provided)
- Packing material or bubble wrap (if moving to another house)
Things to do before moving a peloton bike
Here are a few things that can make the process to transfer a Peloton bike easier and safer for you.
- Turn off the power and unplug the cord
- Remove any water bottles or weights
- Adjust the seat down to the lowest position
Steps for Moving to a Different Room
Step 1: Peloton screen removal
First, take off the Peloton screen. It doesn’t matter if you’re only moving to the next room; the touchscreen is very sensitive and it is best to avoid any risks involving it.
- Remove the clip and disconnect the cables
- Take off the center panel at the back to reveal the mounting screws and plate
- Undo the screws using a Phillips screwdriver
Make sure to set the touchscreen aside properly to keep it intact.
Step 2: Moving to a different location
Move behind the bike and take hold of the stabilizers. Lift it from this side and the rest of the unit will stay in contact with the floor through the front wheels alone. You can push or pull the Peloton to the new spot.
Make sure that you have a stable grasp before proceeding, you do not want to lose your grip and let the bike crash down. After bringing it to the new spot, place the screen back onto the bike by putting the screws back.
Plug in the power cable and you’re all set.
Steps for Moving to Another House or Location
Step 1: Remove Peloton screen
You need to remove the screen from Peloton bike just as when moving to another room in the same house. Follow the same step above to remove the clip and disconnect the cables, then take off the back panels and unscrew the screen.
This time, however, it will be necessary to take precautions for moving it to avoid damage. Wrap the touchscreen in bubble wrap or a moving blanket for safety.
Step 2: Detach bike pedals and attachments
Find the knob for the resistance setting and turn it clockwise; keep going as far as you can. The pedals are connected to the cranks directly. Use a wrench to remove them, turning the left pedal clockwise and counter-clockwise for the right one.
You’ll also need to remove other attachments, such as bottle and weight holders.
- Use the long end of the Allen keys to reach the screws securing the bottle holders
- Each holder has two screws; take both off to remove the holder on each side
- Move to the weight holders and remove any weights
- Find the screws locking the weight holders in place under the seat, two on each side
- You can remove the holders after removing the screws but watch out for washers
Step 3: Transporting the bike
It is best to have a reliable moving service to transport the bike. Indeed, proper packing goes a long way in ensuring that every component stays in good condition. Peloton recommends choosing a company that will insure the bicycle for safety.
If moving everything yourself, it’s important to consider how to lift the bike as this is necessary to get it in a car. It is recommended for one person to hold the handlebar on one side, and another person holds the rear stabilizers on the other when lifting.
Once everything has been transported to the new location, backtrack on the steps you took to take apart Peloton bike to put everything back together. Just make sure to tighten the different bolts and screws before use properly.
Tips for Transporting a Peloton Bike
- Pack the components properly and be sure to label them for easy identification
- The screen is prone to damage so wrap it well with bubble wrap or a blanket
- Opt for a moving solution that includes insurance
Mistakes When Moving a Peloton Bike
There are various mistakes that people can make when moving their bikes whether it’s room to room or to another home. Details differ, most of them can result in damage to the unit. Here are some of the most common ones.
- Not removing the touchscreen
- Leaving items on the bike
- Not securing the bolts or screws before transporting results in loss
Things to Consider When Removing a Peloton Bike
Here are several things you should consider before disassembling and moving your Peloton bike.
- Removing the seals on the screws will void your warranty
- Improper handling of the bike may result in damage to parts
- Consider the vehicle accessible to you if moving the bike yourself
- Ask for help when removing the screen and lifting the bike
- Hire movers if you feel unsure of your ability to move it properly
Frequently Asked Questions
Can a Peloton bike be moved easily?
This depends on where you need to move it. If you only need to relocate from one room to another, then it is simple enough since it has wheels and can be moved by one person but bringing it upstairs or downstairs is much more difficult. The same goes for relocating from one home to another.
The bike is heavy enough that many would find it difficult to carry alone, and the distribution of weight along its frame makes it hard to keep your balance. There are also few places where you would be able to hold it properly, so a minimum of two people are needed to safely lift it.
How heavy is a Peloton bike?
Its weight depends on the model but the difference is not much. The base model weighs 135 lbs but you can move Peloton bike plus without much of a difference since it is only slightly heavier at 140 lbs.
If you were to compare the frame’s specifications, the frame weight for both models is equal but the Bike+ has a touch panel that is around 5 lbs heavier.
How much does it cost to move a Peloton bike?
Peloton disassembly by an official service technician costs $175 while assembly cost another fee of $175 for a total of $350. This service is exclusive to removing and returning the parts and does not include moving any component.
A moving service by a technician is also available for a $250 fee but this only involves relocation within the same house. This service is also available for moving a Peloton tread.
Now you know how to move a Peloton bike whether it’s across the country or just the room across the hall. Be sure to give proper attention to the necessary details and your bike will be just as good after moving.
Have you experienced moving a Peloton or any other exercise equipment before? What particular details did you find challenging? Tell us about your experiences in the comments section below.
Always ride safely.
Other tips and tricks about how to use a peloton bike you can may be interested in:
- Easy Steps to Turn On Your Peloton Bike
- Learn How to Level Your Peloton Bike
- Here’s How to Utilize the Peloton App without a Peloton Bike
“I ride my bike to work for years, but is that enough? Our carelessness towards our surroundings has taken a toll on the environment. And now, everyone is responsible for changes; even the most minor contribution is counted. With this hope and spirit, I started with my partner to establish Biketoworkday to help more individuals commute to their work sites on their bikes.”