- Always wear a helmet.
- Always signal when riding on the road.
- Be alert.
- Make eye contact with drivers.
- Leave room for right-turning vehicles when stopped at a red light.
- Be visible! Wear bright colors during the day and white or reflective clothing at night.
- Cross railroad tracks perpendicularly to prevent catching a wheel and falling.
- Give an audible signal when you pass a pedestrian or someone traveling more slowly than you are, whether you are on the street or a path.
- Respect and be considerate of other road, path and trail users.
- Check with the city or county where you habitually ride about additional local biking ordinances.
Rules of the Road
Bicyclists have the same rights and responsibilities as motorists. Under state law, bicycles are considered vehicles. Cyclists should obey all traffic laws, signs and signals. For more information about the rules of road, see the Colorado Cycling Rules page on the Bicycle Colorado website.